Vegan Stuffed Mexican Butternut Squash- Packed with flavor, this plant-based meal with brighten up any dinner!
Fall is the perfect time to stock up on butternut squash! It’s delicious in soup or mashed. My current favorite way to enjoy butternut squash is to stuff it with gains, beans and veggies. This Mexican take on stuffed butternut squash contains a rainbow of good-for-you ingredients.
Quinoa is a healthy substitute for white rice. It contains twice the protein and 5 grams more fiber. Black beans are a nutritional powerhouse that contains antioxidants, fiber, protein. The avocado garnish adds vitamins C, E, K, and B-6, as well as riboflavin, niacin, magnesium, and potassium.
This recipe makes a hearty portion, so there’s plenty leftover for the next day or for meal prep!
Vegan Stuffed Mexican Butternut Squash
This recipes comes together quickly, thanks to the canned black beans and corn.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and line a baking sheet. Prepare the butternut squash. Cut it in half and remove the seeds using a fork. Place the squash face down on the baking sheet. Cook for 40-45 minutes or until the flesh is tender. Remove from the oven.
Prepare the filling while the squash is cooking. Add the quinoa and low-sodium vegetable stock to a saucepan. Stir together. Bring to a boil and then reduce to low-medium heat. Cook until all the liquid has evaporated, approximately 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Add the black beans, fire-roasted tomatoes, corn, and spices into a skillet. Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the quinoa and stir. Once the squash has cooked and cooled enough to handle, cut the inside flesh out, leaving a 1-inch border around the squash. Fill with the black bean and quinoa mixture, top with avocado and cilantro, and enjoy!
Vegan Mexican Stuffed Butternut Squash
- 2 Whole butternut squash
- 1/2 Cup Dry quinoa
- 1 Cup Low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 15.5 oz can Black beans rinsed
- 1 15.5 oz can Fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 15.5 oz can Corn kernals
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- Avocado, cilantro for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet.
- Cut the butternut squash in half and remove the seeds. Place the squash face down on the baking sheet. Cook for 40-45 minutes or until tender.
- While the squash is cooking, make the quinoa. Add the quinoa and vegetable stock to a saucepan. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low-medium to simmer. This will take approximately 10 minutes.
- In a skillet, add the black beans, fire-roasted tomatoes, corn, and spices. Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the quinoa and remove from the heat.
- Once the squash has cooled enough to touch, hollow it out leaving a 1-inch border. Add the black bean mixture (you can add the scooped out squash or save it for another meal) and top with avocado and cilantro.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe for Vegan Stuffed Mexican Butternut Squash!
Looking for more easy Vegan Recipes?