Vegan Chocolate Chunk Orange Scones- a moist and flakey treat flavored with zesty orange and rich chocolate.
These scones have a moist but flaky texture. They’re sweet without being too much. These are great any time of the day- breakfast, dessert, or as an afternoon pick-me-up with a cup of coffee.
The secret ingredient in these scones is the non-dairy whipping cream. I was so excited to see this in the grocery store. It truly makes vegan baking easier! It’s designed for whipping, cooking, and baking. You can substitute it cup-for-cup for regular whipping cream in your recipes.
Vegan Chocolate Chunk Orange Scones
If you’ve never made scones before, don’t be intimidated! They’re very easy!
First, preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Zest 2 oranges to get 2 tablespoons worth. Stir the zest into the mixture. Pour in the vegan heavy cream and stir until combined.
Add the chocolate chunks and fold in using your hands. Shape the dough into a disc that measures approximately 1/2 wide. and place it on the baking sheet. Using a sharp knife, cut the dough into 8 even sections (like a pie). Bake for 12-14 minutes or until the edges of the scones are lightly golden. Let cool and enjoy!
Vegan Orange Chocolate Chunk Scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp fresh grated orange zest
- 1 1/4 cup vegan heavy cream
- 3/4 cup vegan chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add orange zest and stir. Pour in the vegan heavy cream and stir until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chunks. Use your hand to incorporate. Knead until you have a smooth ball of dough.
- Flatten dough into a disc that's approximately 1/2 inch wide. Place on a baking sheet. Using a sharp knife, cut the dough into 8 equal pieces (like a pie).
- Bake for 12-14 minutes until the edges are lightly golden. Let cool and serve.
Looking for more Easy Vegan Recipes?